The initial six months require adequate watering and the initial few years are vital in your tree’s life. If you take care of your tree, it will go on to live a longer, healthier life. So what are the secrets that will increase the life of your tree? Here is a guide that will help you in properly maintaining your trees.
Six Steps to Maintain Your Plant’s Health
- Planting at the right location - Every tree requires adequate conditions to prosper. Some need direct sunlight, whereas others don’t. First of all, ensure that you aren’t digging near power lines or any other utility lines. Also, don’t sow your seeds too deep into the ground.
- Properly water - Just like plants, you have to regularly water trees when it hasn’t rained for weeks. New trees require around 4 to 10 gallons of water every week when they grow for a season or two. At the same time, mature trees need about one inch of water a week.
- Mulch - Mulching your trees insulates tree roots, protects them from weeds, and retains the moisture by preventing dry soil. To do this, remove the grass underneath your trees and spread about 2 to 4 inches of mulch. You can use anything from wood scraps, leaves, compost, or newspaper/cardboard cutting. There are inorganic mulches also available in the market. Just make sure that you keep the base of the truck as it is.
- Fertilize - Trees feed on the nutrition of soil around them in the forest. However, if you are growing trees in your lawn or farm, the ground isn’t nutritious enough. Thus, we need to add external fertilizer, so your tree gets all the nutrients. Also, get your soil tested periodically to see if it’s missing any essential nutrients.
- Pruning - Pruning is about selectively cutting your tree for appearance, removing dead branches, promoting tree health, and other reasons. It requires the right tools you should sanitize before using and an understanding of where to cut, which can vary for every tree.
- Book checkups - Are you scheduling an annual checkup with your doctor? Book one for your tree as well. Precaution is better than cure applies for your tree as well. Spotting any signs of pests or diseases early will make all the difference as your tree grows.
Let Professionals Take Care of Your Trees - Seacoast Tree Care
We offer various tree care services like Pruning, Cabling, Fertilizing, Seacoast Tree Preservation, Root Collar Excavation, and tree removal services in North Shore. There is also a plant health care program where we offer services like Fertilization, Growth Regulators, Tick Control MA, and many more. Schedule a consulting call with us so we can take care of your trees.